Sunday 2 December 2007

Happy Birthday Dad


My Dad, Peter Bowen the first turned 100 yesterday. OK, probably not 100 but I actually don't know how old he is - he just seems to have been there always.

Here are some of my memories:

  • I remember "Wilson Toffee Romps". He would come home from work with a pocket full of toffees and whoever could get them out of his pocket could have them. I was 13 or 14 at the time so Don must have been 12 and James about 10. He must have been crazy or very strong - I've given up wrestling with Cheryn and Zeek because I get battered and bruised and they're only 11 and 10.
  • How about "Swimming Pool Surprise"? A meal made with hard-boiled eggs floating in a greenish yellow curry sauce. I have never eaten a hard-boiled egg since.
  • I guess patience when someone dropped a hammer on his head while we were building tree houses.
  • How he kindly carried me home from the shop after I caused us to crash on his bicycle by accidentally putting my bare feet into the spokes while he was giving me a lift on the carrier.
  • The romantic things he did (and hopefully still does) for Mom. Cooking a surprise lunch for her on a camping cooker in the garage. Going on dates and eating ice-cream.
  • Studying the scriptures. I didn't see him reading too much else but scriptures and church magazines every day. Usually in the morning in his bathroom.

What do you remember most about Dad?

1 comment:

Judy said...

Hi Pete
I had occasion recently to be "aware" of your Dad in the Temple. I thought "He is different... how... what...?"
As I pondered it I thought "I feel as though he has the 'Mantle' of the Temple President on."
I felt 'gentle' 'wise' 'diplomatic' 'safe' all at once.
Love, Judy